Company Summary: Korro Bio is a privately held biotechnology company launched out of a top-tier life science venture firm headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. We are utilizing the precision provided by nucleic acid-based therapeutics to target sequences within the genetic code that are responsible for inherited disorders. At Korro Bio, our aim is to bring transformative treatments to patients with rare and debilitating diseases by addressing the underlying genetic cause.
We are committed to investing in the personal and professional growth of our employees by putting work-life balance, family values and career development at the forefront. This has helped to shape us into an energetic, inclusive and innovative team where your value is celebrated no matter your role. Together we intertwine our positive culture and intrinsic motivation with our passion for advancing science to directly impact the future of RNA editing one letter at a time.
Position Summary: We are seeking a collaborative, smart and creative chemist who will be responsible for helping to lead Korro’s chemistry team. Key contributions for this position include 1) providing cutting edge medicinal chemistry insights into oligonucleotide design to enable platform and therapeutic program development; 2) management of oligonucleotide and small molecule raw materials synthesis at CMOs and CROs; 3) oversight of compound management at Korro Bio. Core competencies include an ability to function in an interdisciplinary and fast-paced startup environment coupled with a proactive and collaborative approach. Whilst starting as an individual contributor, the role will evolve to include management responsibilities in the future. This position reports to the head of chemistry and will be based in our Cambridge, MA location.
- Provide chemistry leadership to advance cutting edge research of oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Provide expert insight into the design and optimization of oligonucleotides for therapeutic drug development
- Help to build and manage a network of CMOs that supply oligonucleotide products to support R&D
- Suggest synthetic routes for, and manage outsourcing of small molecule raw materials such as phosphoramidites, targeting ligands, peptides and linkers
- Manage delivery schedules and timelines against the expectations of internal and external stakeholders
- Oversee compound management at Korro Bio, including registration, formulation, QC, inventory and disposition
- Partner with individuals from functional groups across the organization to build and contribute to successful matrix project teams
- Serve as a role model for junior scientists, and a champion for scientific rigor within an open, supportive and data-driven corporate environment
- Effectively communicate strategy, progress and results to Korro’s leadership, R&D teams, and external audiences
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Ph.D. in chemistry with at least 7 years of experience in a drug discovery and development environment
- Demonstrable track record in the design and synthesis of oligonucleotides and oligonucleotide conjugates for applications as therapeutics
- Experience building and maintaining close working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including CMOs, CROs and academic collaborators
- Familiarity with oligonucleotide synthesizers such as AKTA Oligopilot, Dr Oligo and MerMade and associated downstream processing equipment for purification (IEX, RP), desalting and lyophilization
- Adept at troubleshooting problems associated with oligonucleotide synthesis processes
- Experience managing direct reports
- Must be well organized, and capable of providing clear direction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Korro offers competitive compensation, including equity-based compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance and a Health Savings (HAS) and Dependent Care Accounts.