Head of Biology (Sr. Dir/VP)
Korro Bio is a privately held biotechnology company launched out of a top-tier life science venture firm headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. We are utilizing the precision provided by nucleic acid-based therapeutics to target the sequences responsible for inherited disorders within the genetic code. At Korro Bio, our aim is to bring transformative treatments to patients with debilitating diseases by addressing the underlying genetic cause.
We are committed to investing in the personal and professional growth of our employees by putting work-life balance, family values and expanding an employee’s knowledge at the forefront. This has helped to shape us into an energetic, inclusive and innovative team where your value is celebrated no matter your role. Together we intertwine our positive culture and intrinsic motivation with our passion for advancing science to directly impact the future of RNA editing one letter at a time.
Korro Bio is seeking a passionate and creative Head, Liver Biology to join our Development group and work with an enthusiastic team of highly skilled scientists in a dynamic, high growth company. Reporting to the Head of Development, the successful candidate will lead a team focused on the validation of novel targets and the evaluation of novel drug candidates for the treatment of genetically diverse, chronic liver diseases. This individual will be responsible for bringing novel drug candidates and building out a portfolio of programs with high potential for treatment of myriad of liver diseases.
- Lead efforts in the design and execution of in vivo and in vitro studies to generate key data for evaluating potential targets, mechanism of action and/or drug candidate efficacy and pharmacodynamics
- Bring novel drug candidates and building out a portfolio of programs with high potential for liver diseases into the early stage pipeline
- Act as senior scientific consultant to and/or leader of early-stage matrix project teams.
- Lead efforts to determine mechanism of action for drug targets and candidates using state-of-the-art methods and tools
- Prepare technical reports, summaries and quantitative analyses in written and/or oral form
- Proactively identify complex obstacles to progress in specific areas; recommend and implement solutions using a diverse set of resources; regularly add value to research projects through creative ideas
- Manage a wide variety of tasks, techniques, and projects; integrate these responsibilities to produce quality result with a high level of efficiency
- Support or identifies business development opportunities to enhance project progression, or functional capability expansion, with clear and specific application to needs of the liver portfolio
- MD, MD/PhD or PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 12+ years’ experience in drug discovery or target validation research with proven expertise in liver disease biology.
Other Knowledge, Experience or Skills recommended:
- Expertise in the design and execution of in vivo and in vitro studies for the evaluation of liver-related biology (e.g. liver injury, NASH/fibrosis pathology) as demonstrated by a publication record in the field
- Deep knowledge of animal models of liver diseases including NASH and fibrosis and cell systems for evaluating interactions between hepatocyte, macrophage, stellate and/or endothelial cells
- Expertise in one therapeutic modality (gene therapy, gene editing, small molecules, antibodies & biologics, or ASOs/siRNA) and familiarity with the other modalities
- Independently solves scientific problems using multiple technologies and approaches
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function
- Lead a high functioning group of scientists
Korro offers competitive compensation, including equity-based compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance and a flexible spending account for either health care and/or dependent care.