Job Title: Vice President, Business Development
Location: One Kendall Square
Company Summary: Korro Bio is a privately held biotechnology company launched out of a top-tier life science venture firm headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. We are utilizing the precision provided by nucleic acid-based therapeutics to target the sequences responsible for inherited disorders within the genetic code. At Korro Bio, our aim is to bring transformative treatments to patients with debilitating diseases by addressing the underlying genetic cause.
We are committed to investing in the personal and professional growth of our employees by putting work-life balance, family values and expanding an employee’s knowledge at the forefront. This has helped to shape us into an energetic, inclusive and innovative team where your value is celebrated no matter your role. Together we intertwine our positive culture and intrinsic motivation with our passion for advancing science to directly impact the future of RNA editing one letter at a time.
Position Summary: Korro Bio is seeking a passionate and resourceful Vice President of Business Development. The successful candidate will drive the entire BD process from search/evaluation to deal execution. This individual will lead business development efforts in the identification, evaluation and development of acquisition, in-licensing, out-licensing and partnership opportunities inclusive of assessing external opportunities relative to our internal pipeline choices and investments. The Vice President of Business Development possesses strong scientific expertise in the biopharmaceutical industry and business development leadership, in various therapeutic areas. The ideal candidate will have the ability to think holistically and long-term across a broad spectrum of industry trends and issues in base editing, gene editing, RNA therapeutics, rare disease, and platform approaches, and to communicate long term business objectives and priorities through external partnerships. A deep understanding of the drug discovery, development, and regulatory processes is required, as this position will lead both scouting activities and evaluation/diligence of novel therapeutic opportunities for both licensing and M&A, while supporting transactional activities. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Independently lead search and evaluation activities and projects in the base editing, gene editing, RNA therapeutics, and oligo delivery field to proactively identify and solicit new strategic research partnerships with biotech and pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, non-profit research or patient organizations.
- Participate in and lead in-depth reviews and due diligence on external opportunities.
- In collaboration with R&D organization and SVP of Strategy and Portfolio Planning, lead the activities/input necessary to establish the business case (scientific/ technical evaluation, development plan, market research, market opportunity, competitive intelligence, strategic assessment, appropriate transaction financial structure etc.) and present it to senior leaders in the business.
- Own the overall execution of an evaluation project providing oversight to the BD team membership involved in the project as well as cross-functional membership.
- Identify, analyze, and act on opportunities for growth through cultivating relationships, negotiating, and reviewing contracts.
- Provide insights and commercial advice while maintaining an understanding of the industry trends, best practices, and industry financial measurements.
- Responsible for building business cases; assessing commercial plans, market opportunities, and transaction financial structure for prospective partners.
- Act as the company’s BD Leader while collaborating with other team members to achieve objectives.
- MD, PhD, PharmD, or other advanced degree in the biomedical field required.
- Minimum 15 years of experience within the biopharmaceutical industry or related biotech/healthcare practice and minimum 5 years of experience in S&E in a business development organization
- Experience in sourcing and evaluating pharmaceutical or biotech products, for potential licensing /acquisition.
Other Knowledge, Experience or Skills recommended:
- Must have an aptitude to quickly understand new science and technology.
- Display strong interpersonal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to drive and support highly visible and time-sensitive business development projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with academic institutions, vendors, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, and the VC community.
- Ability to co-lead with transactions to develop and deliver scientific, clinical, technical, and commercial assessments and evaluations in base editing, gene editing, RNA therapeutics and oligo delivery field to the relevant internal governance bodies.
- An outstanding strategist and thought partner to the leadership team.
- Leadership ability that inspires and drives internal teams.
- Strong collaboration and influence skills. An ability to work across all lines as a general advisor and across the leadership team as a trusted partner, yet capable and willing to challenge established thinking to realize a better outcome.
- Increase awareness of Korro Bio’s strategy to the external environment.
- Business development experience within pre-clinical and/or clinical stage business development.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge and understanding of pharmaceutical development and commercialization and business practices required to successfully bring drugs to market.
- Self-starter who is able to effectively lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders.
- Strong ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
Benefits: Korro offers competitive compensation, including equity-based compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance and a flexible spending account for either health care and/or dependent care.